Karina Smith is a medical nurse, educated in Stavanger. She started the NORINA database in 1991 and has since developed the TextBase og Classic AVs databases, originally at the Norwegian School of Veterinary Science and then (from 2012) at Norecopa. Her work has been financed by the Nordic Society Against Painful Animal Experiments since 2012.
1978: Registered Nurse from NKS Nursing School, Stavanger
1978-91: Nursing practice in England and Norway
Teaching and supervision
1991 - 2011:
- Lecturer and supervisor on courses in laboratory animal science for veterinary students, veterinary nurse students, researchers, technicians and local competent persons at Norway's laboratory animal units.
- Course in fire prevention, Ullevål hospital
- Course in CPR, NVH
- Course in good service, Kristiansand municipality
- Participant in international meetings and congresses within laboratory animal science and alternatives
- Co-organiser of several meetings, including a Scand-LAS symposium in laboratory animal science (350 participants).
Other activities and positions held
- Volunteer for the Tall Ships Races, Kristiansand 2010
- Planning and furnishing of a Multimedia Room / Training Clinic, NVH
Awards given while at the Laboratory Animal Unit, NVH
- Prize for the quality of teaching from the Ministry of Education and Research
- Glaxo/SmithKline prize for animal welfare
- Nordic prize for alternatives to animal experiments
- VESO-prize for communicating research results