Principles of working with laboratory animals
This record is part of
a dataset collected by the EU Commission in June-September 2018
. Some of these links will therefore die out with time.
Please see the
overview of courses maintained by ETPLAS
or contact Norecopa for more information.
Owner/Developer: Dr Siavash Ahmadi Noorbakhsh
01 June 2018
National Ethics Committee for Biomedical Research in Iran
The project aimed to improve the ethical aspects of using animals for scientific purposes and improve the research integrity of preclinical studies. In this regard, 2-day intensive workshops were developed and presented in 10 zones of medical universities in Iran. Attendees from all the universities and research institution at each zone were invited to attend the workshops, with full coverage of their transportation and accommodation fees. A research performed alongside the running of the workshops revealed that the workshops significantly enhanced the knowledge and attitude of the attendees.
The series of workshops are being started from 4/7/2018 and will be finished by 28/2/2019. Following the termination of the workshop, it is expected to provide the details of the project in a scientific article.
Hands-on training, Lecture, Workshops, Computer assisted learning
Mandatory for pertinent universities to nominate attendees
Theoretical and practical
10 hours theoretical and 4 hours practical
For theoretical session: The attendees must be either academics, member of ethics committees, or researchers using laboratory animals. For practical session: Limited to those who were using laboratory animals at the time of the workshop or needed to use laboratory animals within 6 months after the workshop.
Researchers, Regulators and policy-makers, Lecturers, teachers and educators, Managers, Scientific officers/Project managers, Professionals (e.g. veterinarians), Laboratory animal facility technicians, Research grant reviewers
University (undergraduate and graduate education), Postdoctoral (teaching and research), Continuing Education
Refinement, Reduction, Replacement
Models of animals (e.g. mannequins, simulators, cadavers), carrying out procedures on animals, designing procedures and projects, taking care of animals, humane killing of animals, ethics, legislative aspects
Full coverage (a dedicated course)
Rodents (Mice (Mus musculus), Rats (Rattus norvegicus), Guinea-Pigs (Cavia porcellus), Hamsters), and Lagomorphs.
|Course level on animal species:||
Introductory course, basic course.
Guideline for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes in Iran
- Introduction on Ethics in Research and principles of 3Rs
- Moral sensitization of the attendees regarding the care and use of animals in research
- Familiarising audiences with the Guideline for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes in Iran
- Familiarising audiences with alternative methods to use animals
- Sample size calculation for laboratory animal studies
- Animal model selection
- Understanding the biological properties of common laboratory animal species
- Standards of laboratory animal facilities
- Standards of care and animal welfare considerations
- Biosafety in working with laboratory animals with topics on zoonoses
- Performing research interventions on animals
- Principles of sampling and drug administration
- Methods of recognition of pain and distress in laboratory animals
- Principles of laboratory animal anaesthesia and analgesia
- Humane endpoints and euthanasia of laboratory animals
|Accreditation body and/or authority that approved the education or training:||
The National Ethics Committee for Biomedical Research
Certificate of Attendance from The National Ethics Committee for Biomedical Research
Fant du det du lette etter?Ja, jeg fant det! Nei, jeg fant det ikke!
Takk for din tilbakemelding! Vær oppmerksom på at vi ikke kan kontakte deg hvis ikke du oppgir din epostadresse.
Hva lette du etter?
Gi oss gjerne en tilbakemelding slik at vi kan forbedre informasjonen på siden. På forhånd takk for hjelpen! Vennligst skriv inn din epostadresse hvis du vil ha et svar.Kontakt oss gjerne på e-post hvis du har spørsmål.