Advanced course in Laboratory Animal Science - Experimental surgical techniques in rodents (Advanced course in Laboratory Animal Science - Experimental surgical techniques in rodents)
Owner/Developer: Aarhus University (AAU)
29 January 2018
Give the participants insight in experimental surgical techniques in laboratory animals focusing on rodents. Along with practical exercises there will be lectures on comparative anatomy, physiology, pathology and the use of rodents in biomedical research.
Hands-on training, Lecture
University degree in medicine, dentistry, nursing, or Master’s degree in other fields and/or postgraduate research fellows (PhD students and research-year medical students).
University (Doctoral education), Postdoctoral (teaching and research), Continuing Professional Development
Carrying out procedures on animals, Legislative aspects
Substantial coverage (e.g. multiple modules)
Mice (Mus musculus), Rats (Rattus norvegicus)
|Course level on animal species:||
|Details on the topic or technology covered:||
- Hands on training in the use of rodents as biomedical research models
Biology of the rodents, husbandry, comparative anatomy.
- Anaesthesia and analgesia, postoperative pain relief of rodents.
- Genetics and transgenic models.
- Pharmacology and toxicology, antibiotic treatment.
- Experimental procedures in the skin and models for wound healing and psoriasis.
- Experimental gastrointestinal models of human diseases.
- Rodents as a model for urological disorders.
- Reproductive biology.
- The cardiovascular system and models for human diseases.
- PET-scanning and development of models for studies of neurological disorders.
- Screening for mental parameters.
- Participants will perform basic procedures in rodents including: venipuncture, injections, intubation, surgical procedures, thoracic and abdominal surgical approaches, as well as introduction to microsurgery.
Directive 2010/63/EU or equivalent
- Advanced insight into Danish and International legislation concerning animals used for scientific purposes, the ethical aspects working with laboratory animals as well as the principles of the 3 Rs.
- Insight into the biology of rodent laboratory animals, including normal/abnormal behaviour, housing, breeding, welfare and feeding.
- Advanced insight into the use and limitation of animal models in biomedical research.
Insight into strategies for planning and analyses of experimental animal studies, including the importance of standardisation of environmental, microbiological factors and use of humane endpoints.
- Knowledge about advanced experimental procedures such as microsurgery, imaging, telemetry as well as practical experience with handling, anaesthesia, analgesia, euthanasia and surgical procedures in rodent laboratory animals.
|Accreditation body and/or authority that approved the education or training:||
Fant du det du lette etter?Ja, jeg fant det! Nei, jeg fant det ikke!
Takk for din tilbakemelding! Vær oppmerksom på at vi ikke kan kontakte deg hvis ikke du oppgir din epostadresse.
Hva lette du etter?
Gi oss gjerne en tilbakemelding slik at vi kan forbedre informasjonen på siden. På forhånd takk for hjelpen! Vennligst skriv inn din epostadresse hvis du vil ha et svar.Kontakt oss gjerne på e-post hvis du har spørsmål.