DR443F Principles in Animal Experimentation (DR443F Principles in Animal Experimentation)
Owner/Developer: Nord University (NU)
01 January 0001
Mandatory course to obtain license to perform experiments with animals
Hands-on training, Lecture, Workshops
35 h lectures 21 h practical work
bachelor in any biology field
Students, Researchers, Technicians, Professionals (e.g. veterinarians)
University (Master), University (Doctoral education), Postdoctoral (teaching and research), Continuing Professional Development
Refinement, Reduction, Replacement
Models of animals (e.g. mannequins, simulators, cadavers), Carrying out procedures on animals, Designing procedures and projects, Taking care of animals, Killing animals, Computational methods, In vitro methods, Ethics, Legislative aspects
Substantial coverage (e.g. multiple modules)
Pigs (Sus scrofa domesticus), Zebrafish (Danio rerio), Other Fish (other Pisces), Other species
|Course level on animal species:||
|Details on the topic or technology covered:||
1) General modules
Module 1: National & International legislation on the use of animals in research,
Module 2: Ethics, animal welfare and the 3Rs (Level 1 + 2),
Module 3: Humane methods of killing experimental animals
Module 4: Design of procedures and projects (Level 1 + 2).
2) Species-specific modules
A: Aquatic animals:
Module 5A: Basic biology of aquatic species,
Module 6A: Animal care and health management of aquatic species,
Module 7A: Recognition of pain, suffering and distress in laboratory animals -emphasis on aquatic species, Module Module 8A: Minimally invasive procedures in aquatic species, with or without use of anaesthesia.
Module 5B: Basic biology of large terrestrial animals - emphasis on pigs
Module 6B: Animal care and health management of pigs,
Module 7B: Recognition of pain, suffering and distress in laboratory animals -emphasis on pigs,
Module 8B: Minimally invasive procedures in pigs, with or without use of anaesthesia,
Module 9: Principles of surgery - mammals.
Module 10A: Basic biology of fish - minimally invasive procedures with and without anaesthesia
Module 10B: Minimally and surgical or prolonged invasive procedures in pigs under anaesthesia
Directive 2010/63/EU or equivalent, EU & US Pharmacopoeia, Test guidelines (OECD, ISO, etc.)
The student has specialized knowledge on various aspects of animal experimentation:
- The history of animal experimentation
- The national and international legislation on animal experimentation
- The ethics in animal experimentation
- The alternatives to animal experimentation
- The basic biology care of the specific species of laboratory animals (fish, decapods and pigs)
- Recognition of pain, suffering and distress in the specific species of laboratory animals
- Health hazards and safe practices in the care of the specific species of laboratory animals
- The performance of the main routine invasive experimental procedures, with or without anesthesia or analgesia
- The use of appropriate experimental design in different animal studies
- Can collect and critically analyze various sources of information within the field of animal experimentation and use them to develop their own research
- Can analyze existing theories and methods and use them to structure scientific hypotheses
- Can plan and carry out research studies, using animals, under limited supervision, following the ethical and legal rules
- Can apply knowledge and practical skills in animal research
- Can communicate research results to other scientists as well as the general public, using appropriate language and terminology
- Can contribute to new thinking and innovation process in the field of animal experimentation
|Accreditation body and/or authority that approved the education or training:||
by the university
Fant du det du lette etter?Ja, jeg fant det! Nei, jeg fant det ikke!
Takk for din tilbakemelding! Vær oppmerksom på at vi ikke kan kontakte deg hvis ikke du oppgir din epostadresse.
Hva lette du etter?
Gi oss gjerne en tilbakemelding slik at vi kan forbedre informasjonen på siden. På forhånd takk for hjelpen! Vennligst skriv inn din epostadresse hvis du vil ha et svar.Kontakt oss gjerne på e-post hvis du har spørsmål.