Introductory Course in Laboratory Animal Science
Owner/Developer: Continuing Education Unit, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town
12 November 2018
|Description:||Introductory Course in Laboratory Animal Science - The Ethics, Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes: the course is aimed at all persons who direct, design or conduct animal research, testing or teaching activities at UCT and in South Africa, with the objectives to present the basic principles and facts that underlie the responsible and ethical care and use of non-human animals for scientific purposes.|
Hands-on training, Lecture
Letter from your supervisor endorsing your participation in animal research.
Students, Researchers, Teachers and educators, Technicians
Academia, Industry, Contract Research Organizations (CROs)
Continuing Professional Development
Designing procedures and projects, Ethics, Legislative aspects
Full coverage (a dedicated course)
No species is addressed specifically
|Course level on animal species:||
|Details on the topic or technology covered:||
- Animal ethics (moral philosophy; legislation; standards; UCT policies; reduction, refinement & replacement)
- Animal welfare (welfare monitoring; humane endpoints; euthanasia; anaesthesia; analgesia; surgical principles)
- Research quality (study design; model validity; calculating sample size; statistics; limiting confounding factors)
- Biology & husbandry (behaviour; housing; enrichment; nutrition; anatomy; physiology; genetics; health status)
- Ethical review (how to complete an Animal Ethics Committee application to ensure a rapid turn-around time)
- Practical training (normal behaviour; welfare monitoring; rodent handling, restraint, injections & euthanasia)
|Accreditation body and/or authority that approved the education or training:||
UCT FHS Animal Ethics Committee
Certificate. Attending the 40-hour course and passing its assessments is a requirement for performing hands-on animal research or teaching activities in the UCT Faculty of Health Sciences (FHS).
Fant du det du lette etter?Ja, jeg fant det! Nei, jeg fant det ikke!
Takk for din tilbakemelding! Vær oppmerksom på at vi ikke kan kontakte deg hvis ikke du oppgir din epostadresse.
Hva lette du etter?
Gi oss gjerne en tilbakemelding slik at vi kan forbedre informasjonen på siden. På forhånd takk for hjelpen! Vennligst skriv inn din epostadresse hvis du vil ha et svar.Kontakt oss gjerne på e-post hvis du har spørsmål.