Master of Laboratory Animal Science
This record is part of
a dataset collected by the EU Commission in June-September 2018
. Some of these links will therefore die out with time.
Please see the
overview of courses maintained by ETPLAS
or contact Norecopa for more information.
Owner/Developer: Department of Comparative Medicine, School of Medicine, Stanford University
United States of America
United States of America
|Description:||The Master of Laboratory Animal Science (MLAS) degree program in the Department of Comparative Medicine is a flexible, one to two-year graduate program designed for students who want to pursue advanced careers in biomedical research, focusing on animal modeling and biomethodology, laboratory animal science, organizational management and facility design, regulatory and compliance, and animal welfare. The program’s academic courses are designed to build a solid foundation for a successful career in laboratory animal science and biomedical research. The graduates find employment in pharmaceutical companies, academia or pursue training in Medical or Veterinary schools. The program was designed to give students the ability to customize their academic research experience. The Master of Laboratory Animal Science degree program may also be taken by Stanford undergraduate students as a Coterminal Master's degree program.|
3 years (maximum)
Valid GRE, MCAT, or GMAT scores (i.e., the test scores students submitted to their original graduate program at Stanford)
Carrying out procedures on animals, Designing procedures and projects, Taking care of animals
Substantial coverage (e.g. multiple modules)
Other species, Rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus), Rodents, Non-human primates, Other Amphibians (other Amphibia), Sheep (Ovis aries), Other Fish (other Pisces)
|Course level on animal species:||
|Details on the topic or technology covered:||
- Review scientific articles published in peer reviewed journals.
- Research Biomethodology for Laboratory Animal Science: Emphasis is on providing introductory training and practical, hands-on research animal biomethodology. Topics include basic care and principals guiding the use of research animals, animal health and welfare, enrichment, basic mouse handling, rodent breeding, and the principals of rodent aseptic surgery and anesthesia.
- Laboratory Animal Medicine Seminar: Focuses on husbandry, care and diseases of major laboratory animal species (rodents, fish and amphibians, swine, sheep, rabbits, monkeys); regulatory and compliance, applied principals of animal modeling, and factors that influence animal research, animal behavior and research reproducibility.
- Introduction to Mouse Histopathology: Focus is on anatomy and histology (microscopic anatomy) of the mouse, proper instrument handling and dissection technique, tissue fixation and processing, identification of normal organ histology on stained slides using a light microscope, use of special stains, and digital image acquisition.
- Biostatistics for the Life Sciences: Emphasis is on real-world experimental design and analysis in the life sciences, with particular focus on modern techniques that maximize power and minimize sample size, and avoiding common errors contributing to false discovery and the reproducibility crisis.
- Master's of Laboratory Animal Science Practicum/Laboratory Research: Research laboratory and clinical service (pathology, diagnostic laboratory, surgery, husbandry, anesthesiology, aquatics, facility business and management, etc.), quarterly rotations for students enrolled in the Master's of Laboratory Animal Science program.
- Career Development: Focus is on career development for graduate students and trainees enrolled in a trainee program in the Department of Comparative Medicine. Seminar topics include career pathways in laboratory animal science, resume preparation, manuscript preparation and authorship, life in academics, life in industry and biopharma, regulatory agencies, veterinary and medical school.
|Accreditation body and/or authority that approved the education or training:||
Master of Laboratory Animal Science degree
Fant du det du lette etter?Ja, jeg fant det! Nei, jeg fant det ikke!
Takk for din tilbakemelding! Vær oppmerksom på at vi ikke kan kontakte deg hvis ikke du oppgir din epostadresse.
Hva lette du etter?
Gi oss gjerne en tilbakemelding slik at vi kan forbedre informasjonen på siden. På forhånd takk for hjelpen! Vennligst skriv inn din epostadresse hvis du vil ha et svar.Kontakt oss gjerne på e-post hvis du har spørsmål.