Comprehensive Course on Working with Laboratory Animals
This record is part of
a dataset collected by the EU Commission in June-September 2018
. Some of these links will therefore die out with time.
Please see the
overview of courses maintained by ETPLAS
or contact Norecopa for more information.
Owner/Developer: Dr Siavash Ahmadi Noorbakhsh
National institute for Medical Research Development and National Ethics Committee for Biomedical Research in Iran
The project aimed to improve the ethical aspects of using animals for scientific purposes and improve the research integrity of preclinical studies. In this regard, a comprehensive online educational module consisted of 23 hours of teaching regarding the care and use of animals for scientific purposes was developed. The module consisted of a final exam and is accredited by the National Ethics Committee for Biomedical Research as a prerequisite to receiving Permission to Use Animals (PUA).
Computer assisted learning (www.aveedme.com/Courses/Details/2317)
Mandatory for achieving permission to use animals (PUA)
Researchers, Regulators and policy-makers, Lecturers, teachers and educators, Managers, Scientific officers/Project managers, Professionals (e.g. veterinarians), Laboratory animal facility technicians, Research grant reviewers
University (undergraduate and graduate education), Postdoctoral (teaching and research), Continuing Education
Models of animals (e.g. mannequins, simulators, cadavers), carrying out procedures on animals, designing procedures and projects, taking care of animals, humane killing of animals, ethics, legislative aspects
Rodents (Mice (Mus musculus), Rats (Rattus norvegicus), Guinea-Pigs (Cavia porcellus), Hamsters), and Lagomorphs.
|Course level on animal species:||
Introductory course, basic course, medium course
Guideline for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes in Iran
- Introduction on Ethics in Research and principles of 3Rs
- Moral sensitization of the attendees regarding the care and use of animals in research
- Familiarising audiences with the Guideline for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes in Iran
- Familiarising audiences with alternative methods to use animals
- Research ideation and literature review
- Methodology design for preclinical interventional studies
- sample size calculation for laboratory animal studies
- Animal model selection
- Completion and submission of the Research Application form for Ethical Review
- Understanding the biological properties of common laboratory animal species
- Laboratory animals’ transportation
- Standards of laboratory animal facilities
- Standards of care and animal welfare considerations
- Biosafety in working with laboratory animals with topics on zoonoses
- Performing research interventions on animals
- Principles of sampling and drug administration
- Methods of recognition of pain and distress in laboratory animals
- Principles of laboratory animal anaesthesia and analgesia
- Principles of experimental surgery
- Humane endpoints and euthanasia of laboratory animals
- Publication of the laboratory animal research
|Accreditation body and/or authority that approved the education or training:||
The National Ethics Committee for Biomedical Research
Certificate of Attendance and Completion of Final Comprehensive Exam from The National Ethics Committee for Biomedical Research and National institute for Medical Research Development.
Did you find what you were looking for?Yes, I found it! No, I did not!
Thanks for your feedback! Please note that we cannot respond unless you supply your email address.
What are you looking for?
Please give us your feedback so we can improve the information on the page. Thank you in advance for your help. Please add your email address if you would like a reply.Please contact us by email if you have any questions.