Fish as research animals
This page and the sections below are being used to collect links to resources concerned fish as research animals.
Please use the menu above for resources on wild fish and other aquatic species.
Guidance on planning experiments on fish is available in the PREPARE guidelines.
- Anaesthesia and analgesia
- Education and training
- Environmental enrichment
- Health monitoring and disease prevention
- Humane killing
- Marking and identification
- Pain and suffering
- Projects involving Norecopa
- Training fish
Textbooks about fish in research may be found in the TextBase database. Here are examples of searches for "fish", "zebrafish" and "medaka".
Educational and training resources can be found in the NORINA database. Here is an example of a general search for "fish" (use the filters in the right margin to narrow the search results).
ENRICH Fish: a project financed by the Research Council of Norway to improve the welfare of Atlantic salmon used in laboratory experiments
Other literature references and links:
- UK Home Office Code of Practice for the housing and care of animals bred, supplied or used for scientific purposes, 2014.
- Approved protocols for decapods, cephalopods and fish (Guidance from the Animal Ethics Sub-Committee of the University of KwaZulu-Natal Ethics Committee, South Africa)
- FAWC Opinion on the Welfare of Farmed Fish
Did you find what you were looking for?Yes, I found it! No, I did not!
Thanks for your feedback! Please note that we cannot reply to you unless you send us an email.
What are you looking for?
We value your feedback so we can improve the information on the page. Please add your email address if you would like a reply. Thank you in advance for your help.!Please contact us by email if you have any questions.