Enhancing Humane Science - Improving Animal Research
This record is part of
a dataset collected by the EU Commission in June-September 2018
. Some of these links will therefore die out with time.
Please see the
overview of courses maintained by ETPLAS
or contact Norecopa for more information.
Owner/Developer: Center for Alternatives to Animal Testing (CAAT)
United States of America
United States of America
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
|Description:||Description: This course provides a broad overview of diverse topics in the practice of and approaches to humane animal experimentation. It addresses such issues as experimental design (including statistics and sample size determination), humane endpoints, environmental enrichment, post-surgical care, pain management, and the impact of stress on the quality of data. It was developed by CAAT director Alan Goldberg and James Owiny, the training and compliance administrator of the Johns Hopkins University animal care and use committee, along with Christian Newcomer, associate provost for animal research and resources at Hopkins. The self-paced course consists of 12 audio lectures with accompanying slides, resource lists, and study questions.|
Interactive online resources
Optional / Voluntary
Students, Researchers, Teachers and educators, Technicians, Professionals (e.g. veterinarians)
Academia, Industry, Contract Research Organizations (CROs), Consulting, SMEs
Continuing Professional Development
Refinement, Reduction, Replacement
Carrying out procedures on animals, Designing procedures and projects, Taking care of animals, Computational methods, In vitro methods
Full coverage (a dedicated course)
|Course level on animal species:||
|Details on the topic or technology covered:||
1. Enhancing Human Science: Improving Animal Reasearch - Opening - Alan M. Golderg and James Owiny
2. Introduction to Humane Science
3. Rodent Surgery: Quality Matters - Randy Brown
4. Post-Procedural Care - Sylvia Singletary and Christian Newcomer
5. Pain and Distress: Measurement, Avoidance, and Relief - Norman Peterson
6. Impact of Stress on Quality of Data - Andrew Rowan
7. Humane Endpoints in Animal Research - James Owiny
8. Animal Welfare: The Five Freedoms - Julie Watson
9. Enviornmental Enrichment in Rodent Studies: Functional Outcomes - Tomas GuilarteNot Yet Available
10. Overview of Non-Invasive Imaging in Rodents - Kathy Gabrielson
11. In Vitro and Other Replacement Approaches - Alan M. Goldberg and James Yager
12. Experimental Design, Basic Statistics, and Sample Size Determination - Karl W. Broman
Did you find what you were looking for?Yes, I found it! No, I did not!
Thanks for your feedback! Please note that we cannot respond unless you supply your email address.
What are you looking for?
Please give us your feedback so we can improve the information on the page. Thank you in advance for your help. Please add your email address if you would like a reply.Please contact us by email if you have any questions.