Introductory Course in Laboratory Animal Science (Introductory Course in Laboratory Animal Science)
Owner/Developer: Continuing Education Unit, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town
12 November 2018
Introductory Course in Laboratory Animal Science - The Ethics, Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes: the course is aimed at all persons who direct, design or conduct animal research, testing or teaching activities at UCT and in South Africa, with the objectives to present the basic principles and facts that underlie the responsible and ethical care and use of non-human animals for scientific purposes.
Hands-on training, Lecture
Letter from your supervisor endorsing your participation in animal research.
Students, Researchers, Teachers and educators, Technicians
Academia, Industry, Contract Research Organizations (CROs)
Continuing Professional Development
Designing procedures and projects, Ethics, Legislative aspects
Full coverage (a dedicated course)
No species is addressed specifically
|Course level on animal species:||
|Details on the topic or technology covered:||
- Animal ethics (moral philosophy; legislation; standards; UCT policies; reduction, refinement & replacement)
- Animal welfare (welfare monitoring; humane endpoints; euthanasia; anaesthesia; analgesia; surgical principles)
- Research quality (study design; model validity; calculating sample size; statistics; limiting confounding factors)
- Biology & husbandry (behaviour; housing; enrichment; nutrition; anatomy; physiology; genetics; health status)
- Ethical review (how to complete an Animal Ethics Committee application to ensure a rapid turn-around time)
- Practical training (normal behaviour; welfare monitoring; rodent handling, restraint, injections & euthanasia)
|Accreditation body and/or authority that approved the education or training:||
UCT FHS Animal Ethics Committee
Certificate. Attending the 40-hour course and passing its assessments is a requirement for performing hands-on animal research or teaching activities in the UCT Faculty of Health Sciences (FHS).
Did you find what you were looking for?Yes, I found it! No, I did not!
Thanks for your feedback! Please note that we cannot respond unless you supply your email address.
What are you looking for?
Please give us your feedback so we can improve the information on the page. Thank you in advance for your help. Please add your email address if you would like a reply.Please contact us by email if you have any questions.