The NORINA database
NORINA (A Norwegian Inventory of Alternatives) is an English-language database containing information on approximately 3,000 audiovisual aids that may be used as alternatives or supplements to the use of animals in education and training, including dissection alternatives, at all levels from Junior School to University. The information in the database has been collected from 1991 onwards.
The database is built into this website and the search engine at the top of all the pages performs searches in it automatically - use the filters in the right hand margin to adjust your search.
- Our favourite products
- All products in NORINA sorted by date of entry (newest first)
- Free products
- Products on loan
- Reviewed products
- Homemade educational materials
- Educational resources for home-learning
Here is a list of dissection alternatives.
Please let us know if you find outdated information or wish to make us aware of products not cited in NORINA.
Norecopa maintains five other additional databases:
- 3R Guide, covering 3R-resources of use to those planning or conducting animal experiments (databases, guidelines, information centres, email lists, journals)
- TextBase covering literature within laboratory animal science and alternatives
- Classic AVs (a subset of NORINA covering audiovisuals using older technology)
- An Inventory of 3Rs Knowledge Sources produced by the EU Commission
- An Inventory of 3Rs Education and Training Courses and Resources produced by the EU Commission
NORINA was created and developed by Senior Consultant Karina Smith at the Laboratory Animal Unit at the Norwegian School of Veterinary Science. NORINA was taken over by Norecopa in 2011. The project is now financed by Nordisk Samfunn mot Smertevoldende Dyreforsøk and is maintained by Elisabeth Pagels. The project has also received a donation from the Stiansen Foundation.
A multimedia room at the Norwegian School of Veterinary Science
In 2009 a Multimedia Room and Training Clinic was opened at the Veterinary School, furnished with products listed in the NORINA database, and for the use of veterinary students and veterinary nurse students.
For more information about the NORINA database, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Awards won by the NORINA database
Thanks to all the sponsors of NORINA.
Articles describing NORINA and related databases:
The NORINA database of alternatives
Databases on alternatives: What is available and how are they used?
While we make every effort to keep the information in these databases updated, we cannot accept responsibility for factual errors, including availability and price.
We do not supply the products in NORINA or TextBase ourselves. Please always contact the supplier for the latest information before you order.
Records in NORINA: 3089
- Dewhurst & Jenkinson (1995): The impact of Computer-Based Alternatives on the Use of Animals in Undergraduate Teaching - a Pilot Study
- Knight (2007): The Effectiveness of Humane Teaching Methods in Veterinary Education
- Martinsen & Smith (2005): Norwegian veterinary training based on animal alternatives. Poster at the 5th World Congress on Alternatives and Animal Use in the Life Sciences, Berlin
Did you find what you were looking for?Yes, I found it! No, I did not!
Thanks for your feedback! Please note that we cannot reply to you unless you send us an email.
What are you looking for?
We value your feedback so we can improve the information on the page. Please add your email address if you would like a reply. Thank you in advance for your help.!Please contact us by email if you have any questions.