Research Methods for the Biosciences
By Debbie Holmes, Peter Moody, Diana Dine and Laurence Trueman
Today's students need to be well-versed in experimental design, analysis, and the communication of research. Furthermore, they must appreciate how all of these aspects are interlinked—how, for example, statistics can be used to inform the design of a particular experiment. Research Methods for the Biosciences is a guide for undergraduates.
The layout takes students through choosing a project and planning their research; collecting, evaluating, and analysing their data; and finally reporting their results. Research methods, which can often seem abstract, are brought to life through the use of examples taken from real undergraduate research. Friendly guidance and advice is provided throughout the text, and little prior knowledge or mathematical experience is required. Since statistics is a subject best learned through doing, frequent worked examples appear throughout Part Two 'Handling your data', showing step-by-step how to carry out the various statistical tests. In addition, online software walkthroughs and video screencasts clearly demonstrate how to use software such as SPSS, Minitab, Excel and R to carry out statistical analyses.
An Online Resource Centre accompanies the book and features:
· New video screencasts showing how to carry out statistical tests using software
· Statistical software walkthroughs for SPSS, Excel, and Minitab
· Additional statistical tests not included in the main text
· Full details of calculations given in the in-text boxes
· Interactive and printable decision tree, to help you design your experiment
· Interactive and printable risk assessment form
· Integrative exercises to help students test their understanding of the topics in the book
· A test bank of questions
· Figures from the book available to download
Third edition, paperback.
488 pages and 93 line drawings.
Did you find what you were looking for?Yes, I found it! No, I did not!
Thanks for your feedback! Please note that we cannot respond unless you supply your email address.
What are you looking for?
Please give us your feedback so we can improve the information on the page. Thank you in advance for your help. Please add your email address if you would like a reply.Please contact us by email if you have any questions.