The Welfare of Fish
By Tore S. Kristiansen, Anders Fernö, Michail A. Pavlidis & Hans van de Vis
This book investigates how fish experience their lives, their amazing senses and abilities, and how human actions impact their quality of life. The authors examine the concept of fish welfare and the scientific knowledge behind the inclusion of fish within the moral circle, and how this knowledge can change the way we treat fish in the future. In many countries fish are already protected by animal welfare legislation in the same way as mammals, but in practice there is still a major gap between how we ethically view these groups and how we actually treat them. The poor treatment of fish represents a massive animal welfare problem in aquaculture and fisheries, both in terms of the number of animals affected and the severity of the welfare issues.
Thanks to its interdisciplinary scope, this book should appeal to professionals, academics and students in the fields of animal welfare, cognition and physiology, as well as fisheries and aquaculture management.
List of chapters:
- A Brief Look into the Origins of Fish Welfare Science
- Ethics and the Welfare of Fish
- The Diverse World of Fishes
- Fish behaviour: Determinants and Implications for Welfare
- The Effects of Early Life Experience on Behavioural Development in Captive Fish Species
- Fish Brains: Anatomy, Functionality, and Evolutionary Relationships
- Inside the Fish Brain: Cognition, Learning and Consciousness; Awareness in Fish
- The Predictive Brain: Perception Turned Upside Down
- Can Fish Experience Pain?
- How Fish Cope with Stress?
- Individual Variations and Coping Style
- Assessing Fish Welfare in Aquaculture
- Welfare of Farmed Fish in Different Production Systems and Operations
- Ornamental Fish and Aquaria
- Fish as Laboratory Animals
- Catch Welfare in Commercial Fisheries
- Fish Welfare in Capture-Based Aquaculture (CBA)
- Fish Welfare in Recreational Fishing
- Impacts of Human-Induced Pollution on Wild Fish Welfare
- What Have We Learned?
More information is available here.
Part of the Animal Welfare book series (AWNS, volume 20).
ISBN 978-3-030-41674-4 (hardcover)
ISBN 978-3-030-41675-1 (eBook)
ISBN 978-3-030-41677-5 (softcover)
eBook: EUR 46.00
Hardcover: EUR 74.99
Softcover: EUR 54.99
This is one of our favourite textbooks within Laboratory Animal Science.
Did you find what you were looking for?Yes, I found it! No, I did not!
Thanks for your feedback! Please note that we cannot respond unless you supply your email address.
What are you looking for?
Please give us your feedback so we can improve the information on the page. Thank you in advance for your help. Please add your email address if you would like a reply.Please contact us by email if you have any questions.