PIL and PPL Courses
This record is part of
a dataset collected by the EU Commission in June-September 2018
. Some of these links will therefore die out with time.
Please see the
overview of courses maintained by ETPLAS
or contact Norecopa for more information.
Owner/Developer: University of Cambridge - University Biomedical Services (UBS)
Hands-on training, Lecture
Optional / Voluntary
Professionals (e.g. veterinarians), Researchers, Teachers and educators, Technicians
Continuing Professional Development
Replacement, Reduction, Refinement
Carrying out procedures on animals, Designing procedures and projects, Taking care of animals, Killing animals, Ethics, Legislative aspects
Substantial coverage (e.g. multiple modules)
Rodents, Non-human primates, Other birds (other Aves), Horses, donkeys and cross breds (Equidae), Other Amphibians (other Amphibia), Sheep (Ovis aries), Other Fish (other Pisces)
|Course level on animal species:||
Basic course, Advanced course
|Details on the topic or technology covered:||
PIL Course A
2. Ethics and animal welfare.
3. Biology and husbandry of relevant species.
4. Handling and restraint of relevant species.
5. Animal care and management.
6. Recognition of wellbeing, pain, suffering or distress in the relevant species.
7. Humane methods of killing appropriate to the relevant species (theory).
8. Experimental procedures (theory).
PLUS Local procedures
PIL Course AB
All the elements of PIL Course A, plus:
9. Anaesthesia for minor procedures.
PIL Course ABF
All the elements of PIL course AB, plus:
10. Advanced anaesthesia - for prolonged use NOT involving surgery.
PIL Course ABC
All the elements of PIL course ABF, plus:
11. Conduct of surgical procedures
Principles of surgery
Common surgical procedures
Post-surgical care and monitoring
1. Further ethics and animal welfare
2. Experimental design
3. Project Licence completion
Plan of work
Good Laboratory practice
Appropriate laboratory methods
Selection of appropriate animal models
Appropriate statistical methods
4. Project Licence management
Supervision of personnel and programme of work
Record keeping requirements
Annual return of procedures
5. Legal aspects - the European and - and wider international context
Directive 2010/63/EU or equivalent
|Accreditation body and/or authority that approved the education or training:||
PIL (Personal Licensee Training) and PPL (procedure project license)
Did you find what you were looking for?Yes, I found it! No, I did not!
Thanks for your feedback! Please note that we cannot respond unless you supply your email address.
What are you looking for?
Please give us your feedback so we can improve the information on the page. Thank you in advance for your help. Please add your email address if you would like a reply.Please contact us by email if you have any questions.