Other teaching materials within Laboratory Animal Science
This page contains links to sites with teaching materials within laboratory animal science, some of which were produced by the Norwegian School of Veterinary Science. It also contains links to other resources that may be of use when implementing the three R's in laboratory animal science.
Please search the NORINA database, which is part of this website, for information on models, simulators and other educational and training aids.
Research Animal Training (RAT): interactive resources produced by the Flecknell laboratory (previously FLAIRE learning)
LAS interactive: information on animals in research and on scientific methods in animal experiments. Integrates the information portals VTK ONLINE (Laboratory Animal Science Online) and LAS CAMPUS (training portal within Laboratory Animal Science).
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) courses arranged by the Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies, Edinburgh, UK.
ETRIS (Education and Training Resources in In-vivo Sciences) is a website maintained by the University of Leeds which provides links to freely available, online, open access e-resources for use in the provision of education and training, or research, in in-vivo physiology, pharmacology and related disciplines.
Renie Remie Surgical Skills Centre (teaching and training in microsurgery and telemetry)
Felleskatalogen (The Norwegian Compendium of Drugs used in Medical Practice)
Felleskatalogen over preparater i veterinærmedisin (The Norwegian Compendium of Drugs used in Veterinary Medical Practice)
Giftinformasjonssentralen (The Norwegian Poisons Information Centre)
MediLexicon (medical dictionaries, abbreviations, drugs and search engines)
An Online Biology Dictionary
An online health and medical website
Cambridge Dictionaries Online
A glossary of fish species (11 languages and pictures)
Multilingual glossary of medical terms in official European languages
Ask a Librarian (Scottish library service)
- Guidelines and lecture notes from the Research Animal Resources, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, USA
- Environmental Resources from the Primate Info Net
- Photographs of a homemade sling used to restrain sedated pigs
- Fact Sheets and other publications issued by ANZCCART
- Article in Laboratory Animals describing a technique for blood sampling using the saphenous vein: an alternative to retro-orbital puncture.
- Examination of vaginal smears in the rat
- The ImageBank database of 5,000 images within the biosciences
- Blood Sampling Microsite produced by the National Centre for the 3Rs (NC3Rs), UK
Internet material produced by the Laboratory Animal Unit at the Norwegian School of Veterinary Science:
- Films and slide series of basic techniques on common laboratory animal species
- Pictures of rabbit pathology
- Bleeding and intravenous techniques in pigs
- Pictures of a cross-fostering technique in the rat
- Pictures of Caesarian rederivation in the mouse
- Pictures of the vena saphena technique for bleeding of mink
- Valg av midler til sedasjon, anestesi og analgesi
Some of this information has kindly been provided by members of the Comparative Medicine discussion list (CompMed), to whom we are very grateful.
NetVet (Veterinary Resources on the Internet) and The Electronic Zoo (Animal Resources on the Internet): these two sites are now old and have not been updated recently, so there will be many dead links, but in their time they were probably the most comprehensive collections of links on the Internet. The NetVet site includes a subcategory called Comparative Medicine, covering Laboratory Animal Science.
Did you find what you were looking for?Yes, I found it! No, I did not!
Thanks for your feedback! Please note that we cannot respond unless you supply your email address.
What are you looking for?
Please give us your feedback so we can improve the information on the page. Thank you in advance for your help. Please add your email address if you would like a reply.Please contact us by email if you have any questions.