Teacher Training in Comparative Medicine (Teacher Training in Comparative Medicine)
Owner/Developer: Dr Siavash Ahmadi Noorbakhsh
National Ethics Committee for Biomedical Research in Iran
The aim of the course was to train accredited lecturers for holding laboratory animal workshops/courses. The ultimate goal of the project was to improve the ethical aspects of using animals for scientific purposes and improve the research integrity of preclinical studies.
In this regard, a comprehensive 7-day intensive course consisted of 45 hours of teaching was delivered to train teaching methods and topics on the care and use of animals for scientific purposes. The course was consisted of a comprehensive theoretical and practical final exam. At the end, 23 lecturers were certified by the National Ethics Committee for Biomedical Research as accredited lecturers for holding laboratory animal courses.
Hands-on training, Lecture, Workshops, Discussions, Presentation by attendees
Mandatory for receiving certification for teaching in laboratory animal science
Theoretical and practical.
45 hours (7 days)
23 selected university lecturers
Extensive previous involvement in teaching and research using laboratory animals.
University Lecturers (Research and/or Teaching)
Teaching methods in laboratory animal ethics and science, Change management, role modelling, carrying out procedures on animals, Models of animals (e.g. mannequins, simulators, cadavers), designing procedures and projects, taking care of animals, humane killing of animals, ethics, legislative aspects.
Rodents (Mice (Mus musculus), Rats (Rattus norvegicus), Guinea-Pigs (Cavia porcellus), Hamsters), Lagomorphs, Canine, Feline, Wildlife.
|Course level on animal species:||
Medium to Expert
Guideline for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes in Iran and other pertinent national and international legislations.
- Teaching methods in Laboratory animal science with emphasis on:
• moral sensitization of the attendees,
• role modelling,
• change management,
• minimizing animals harm in teaching, and
• enhancing the educational experience of the attendees.
- Introduction on Ethics in Research and principles of 3Rs
- Reviewing the Guideline for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes in Iran and other legislative frameworks (European and Australian codes)
- Replacements to laboratory animals in research and teaching
- Research ideation and literature review
- Methodology design for preclinical studies
- Laboratory animals’ reproduction management
- Sample size calculation
- Animal modelling for human conditions
- Completion and submission of the Research Application form for Ethical Review
- Ethical reviewing of the Laboratory Animals’ Research Application forms
- Biological properties of a wide range of laboratory animal species (including wildlife rodents when used as experimental subjects)
- Field experimentation
- Laboratory animals’ transportation
- Standards of laboratory animal facilities
- Standards of care and animal welfare considerations
- Zoonoses and biosafety in working with laboratory animals
- Performing research interventions and procedures on animals
- Principles of sampling and drug administration
- Methods of recognition of pain and distress in laboratory animals
- Laboratory animal anaesthesia and analgesia
- Principles of experimental surgery
- Humane endpoints and euthanasia of laboratory animals
- Publication of the laboratory animal research
- Group experience sharing (regarding animal studies and teaching in laboratory animal courses)
|Accreditation body and/or authority that approved the education or training:||
The National Ethics Committee for Biomedical Research
Certificate of Attendance and Completion of Final Comprehensive Exam from The National Ethics Committee for Biomedical Research- Certification for Holding Laboratory Animal Courses (under certain criteria set forth in the certification)
Did you find what you were looking for?Yes, I found it! No, I did not!
Thanks for your feedback! Please note that we cannot respond unless you supply your email address.
What are you looking for?
Please give us your feedback so we can improve the information on the page. Thank you in advance for your help. Please add your email address if you would like a reply.Please contact us by email if you have any questions.