Zebrafish (Danio rerio) are being used in increasing numbers within molecular biology, developmental biology, neurobiology, genetics, cancer research and drug discovery, due to the low costs of maintaining them, their short generation interval, the transparency of the embryos and the ability to manipulate the genome.
Norecopa's secretary gave a presentation entitled 3Rs Resources and Guidelines for Zebrafish at the NC3Rs/Cefas workshop on Addressing the needs for refinement of laboratory fish in Weymouth, 26-28 April 2016. This presentation includes:
- international guidelines for the care and use of zebrafish
- organisations and journals related to zebrafish research
- suggestions on how to improve literature searches and reporting
A shorter version, just containing the 3R resources and guidelines, is available here.
The Research Animals Department of the RSPCA has produced a guidance document on the care and housing of zebrafish.
International survey on the use and welfare of zebrafish Danio rerio in research (Journal of Fish Biology, February 2017)
Selected references on anaesthesia and analgesia of zebrafish
- Lopez-Luna J et al. (2017): Impact of stress, fear and anxiety on the nociceptive responses of larval zebrafish
- Do Fish perceive Anaesthetics as Aversive? (2013)
- Anesthesia and Euthanasia in Zebrafish (2012)
- A Low-Cost Method of Skin Swabbing for the Collection of DNA samples from Small Laboratory Fish
- Efficacy and Safety of 5 Anesthetics in Adult Zebrafish (Danio rerio) (2014)
- A New Anaesthetic Protocol for Adult Zebrafish (Danio rerio): Propofol combined with Lidocaine (2016)
- Conditioned Place Avoidance of Zebrafish (Danio rerio) to Three Chemicals Used for Euthanasia and Anaesthesia (2014)
- Behavioural Effects of the Commonly Used Fish Anaesthetic Tricaine Methanesulfonate (MS-222) on Zebrafish (Danio rerio) and Its Relevance for the Acetic Acid Pain Test (2014)
- A Novel Behavioral Fish Model of Nociception for Testing Analgesics (2011)
- Combined use of MS-222 (tricaine) and isofluorane extends anesthesia time and minimizes cardiac rhythm side effects in adult zebrafish (2010)
- The Efficacy of Clove Oil as an Anesthetic for the Zebrafish, (Danio rerio) Hamilton (2004)
Other literature and media articles
Did you find what you were looking for?Yes, I found it! No, I did not!
Thanks for your feedback! Please note that we cannot respond unless you supply your email address.
What are you looking for?
Please give us your feedback so we can improve the information on the page. Thank you in advance for your help. Please add your email address if you would like a reply.Please contact us by email if you have any questions.