Adrian Smith is a British citizen and has been resident in Norway since 1980.
1979: M.A., Vet.M.B. (Master of Arts & veterinary degree) from Cambridge University, England
1985: Dr. scient. degree from the Norwegian School of Veterinary Science (NVH).
1988: Dr. med. vet. (doctoral degree) from the Norwegian School of Veterinary Science (NVH). Title of thesis: ‘Studies of the seasonal changes in testicular activity in the blue fox (Alopex lagopus)’.
2003: Diplomat in laboratory animal science at ECLAM (European College of Laboratory Animal Medicine).
1979-80: Private veterinary practice in England (small animals, farm animals and horses)
1981-85: Research Assistant at Dal Research Farm for Furbearing Animals, Heggedal, part of the Norwegian School of Veterinary Science (NVH)
1985-88: Assistant Professor at the Research Farms/Laboratory Animal Unit, NVH, and local responsible person for the animal research there.
1988-2011: Professor in veterinary medicine (health in fur animals and laboratory animals) at NVH from 1 July 1988. Head of the Laboratory Animal Unit from 27 February 1991 until 1 March 2009.
2007 - : Secretary for Norecopa (100% position funded by the Government and affiliated to the Norwegian Veterinary Institute)
Teaching and supervision
- Organiser of over 50 courses in Laboratory Animal Science for veterinary students, veterinary nurse students, researchers, technicians and local competent persons at Norway's laboratory animal units.
- Main supervisor, supervisor and adjudicator for doctoral degree students.
- Consultancy, planning and monitoring of animal experiments at NVH.
- Consultancy work for other animal facilities.
- Course in University Pedagogics
- Course in fire prevention, Ullevål hospital
- Course in CPR, NVH
- Course in environmental hazards in laboratories
- Course in good service, Kristiansand municipality
- Participant in a large number of international meetings, and congresses within laboratory animal science and fur animal production
Other scientific activities and positions held
- Board Member of the Danish 3Rs Center and member of the Danish National Committee for the protection of animals used in research (2013-2021)
- Past Board member of Scandinavian Society for Laboratory Animal Science (Scand-LAS)
- Past member of the Norwegian Animal Research Authority (NARA, Forsøksdyrutvalget, FDU)
- Past Head of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee at the Laboratory Animal Unit, NVH
- Past member of the Editorial Board of the journal Laboratory Animals
- Co-organiser of several congresses, including three Scand-LAS symposia in laboratory animal science (approx. 300 participants), a world congress in fur animal production (600 participants) and five international consensus meetings on the care and use of animals in research (50-100 participants each).
- Planning and furnishing of a Multimedia Room / Training Clinic, Norwegian School of Veterinary Science
- Planning the Veterinary Nurse course at the Norwegian School of Veterinary Science
- Installation of videoconference equipment, Norwegian School of Veterinary Science
- Many years' experience with running an internet server and design of websites
- Responsible for the daily maintenance of https://norecopa.no (approx. 9,000 pages)
Awards given to the Laboratory Animal Unit, Norwegian School of Veterinary Science
- Prize for the quality of teaching from the Ministry of Education and Research
- Glaxo/SmithKline prize for animal welfare
- VESO-prize for communicating research results
- Gold medal from the Scandinavian Society for Laboratory Animal Science (Scand-LAS) (personal award)
- Nordic prize for alternatives to animal experiments (personal award)
In addition, letters to the media, chronicles and appearances on radio and television concerning the use of animals in research.