In 2020 Norecopa started to provide financial support to a working group which is developing an app based on welfare indicators currently used to monitor fish health in the commercial fish farming industry (FISHWELL). The purpose of the app is to measure the clinical state of fish during experiments. This will make it possible to compare the state of the fish with the approval given by the authorities for the experiment. The app will be particularly useful for deciding when to invoke the humane endpoints which have been set for a study.
The working group contains representatives of the University of Bergen and two privately owned laboratories: Marineholmen RASLab and ILAB.
Norecopa has supported this project with NOK 150,000 in 2020 and with NOK 200,000 in 2021.
References and media articles
- Evaluering av humane endepunkter hos forsøksfisk (Evaluation of humane endpoints in research fish). A report from the project group, December 2021)
- Fish welfare at Marineholmen RASLab
- Ensuring fish welfare in aquaculture with new digital app (Innovation News Network, June 2021)
- Har forsøksfisken det bra? (forskning.no, November 2020)
- En app gjør velferdsovervåkningen av forsøksfisk mer presis (kyst.no, 23 June 2021)
- Refining Humane Endpoints in Mouse Models of Disease by Systematic Review and Machine Learning-Based Endpoint Definition (Mei et al., 2019)
Did you find what you were looking for?Yes, I found it! No, I did not!
Thanks for your feedback! Please note that we cannot reply to you unless you send us an email.
What are you looking for?
We value your feedback so we can improve the information on the page. Please add your email address if you would like a reply. Thank you in advance for your help.!Please contact us by email if you have any questions.