Anaesthesia and analgesia in fish
This webpage is a collection of links to papers and guidelines on anaesthesia and analgesia in fish. Suggestions for additions are welcome and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some links on Norecopa's webpages on cephalopods and on other aquatic species may also be relevant.
Anesthesia for fish in aquaculture research: presentations from a course in Bergen (6 March 2018)
- Martins T et al. (2019): Anaesthetics and analgesics used in adult fish for research: A review.
- Readman GD et al. (2017): Species specific anaesthetics for fish anaesthesia and euthanasia
- Vila Pouca C & Brown C (2017): Contemporary topics in fish cognition and behaviour
- Sneddon LU et al. (2014): Defining and assessing animal pain
- Sneddon LU (2015): Pain in aquatic animals
- An in-tank method of anaesthesia with MS222 is described in the paper Individual Monitoring of Immune Response in Atlantic Salmon Salmo salar following Experimental Infection with Infectious Salmon Anaemia Virus (ISAV) published by Collet et al. in September 2015
- Physiological and behavioural evaluation of common anaesthesia practices in the rainbow trout
- Do fish perceive anaesthetics as aversive?
- Goodman G (2009): Guidelines for anaesthesia and analgesia of fish. A presentation at Norecopa's international consensus meeting on Harmonisation of the Care and Use of Fish in Research.
- Horsberg TE (2005) Anaesthesis and humane killing, proceedings from a meeting.
- Kiessling A (2005) The use of anaesthetics and analgesics to implement the 3 R's: practical examples, proceedings from a meeting.
- Kreiberg H (2000) Stress and Anesthesia. In: G. K. Ostrander (Ed.) The Laboratory Fish. Academic Press, London, pp. 503-513.
- Iwama GK (1992) Anaesthesia, analgesia and euthanasia in fish. In: The Care and Use of Amphibians, Reptiles and Fish in Research. Bethesda, Maryland: Scientists Center for Animal Welfare, pp. 167-74. Library of Congress Card No. 92-61834.
- Poole T (1999) UFAW Handbook on The Care and Management of Laboratory Animals. Volume 2: Amphibious & Aquatic Vertebrates & Advanced Invertebrates. Blackwell Science.
- Ross L, Ross B (2008): Anaesthetic and Sedative Techniques for Aquatic Animals Blackwell Publishing.
- Terrance HC, Leary SL (1999) Formulary for Laboratory Animals Blakwell Publishing.
- Brattelid T (1999) Kapittel 6: Anestesi, håndtering, kirurgiske inngrep og avliving av fisk, i Kompendium i forsøksdyrlære for fiskeforskere (Compendium from the Laboratory Animal Unit, Norwegian School of Veterinary Science).
- Pain and analgelsia in birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fish (Stoskopf, 1994)
- Uses and doses of local anesthetics in fish, amphibians and reptiles (Chatigny et al., 2017)
- Zahl IH, Samuelsen O & Kiessling A (2012): Anaesthesia of farmed fish: implications for welfare
- Fish, amphibian and reptile anesthesia (Machin, 2001)
Did you find what you were looking for?Yes, I found it! No, I did not!
Thanks for your feedback! Please note that we cannot respond unless you supply your email address.
What are you looking for?
Please give us your feedback so we can improve the information on the page. Thank you in advance for your help. Please add your email address if you would like a reply.Please contact us by email if you have any questions.