Guidelines for research using fish
Please also see the PREPARE guidelines for planning and conducting animal research and testing.
- Revised version of Appendix A of the "European Convention for the protection of animals used for scientific purposes". The revision came into force on 15 June 2007 and contains species-specific guidelines for a number of fish species.
- Guidelines for the severity classification of procedures on fish
- Wootten R (2005) Species-specific provisions for fish in the European Convention for the protection of animals used for experimental and scientific purposes (presentation at a meeting in Oslo in May 2005)
- Griffin G (2005) Canadian Guidelines for the care & use of fish in research, teaching and testing (presentation at a meeting in Oslo in May 2005)
- Guidelines on: the care and use of fish in research, teaching and testing (2005) Canadian Council on Animal Care (CCAC)
- Approved protocols for decapods, cephalopods and fish (Guidance from the Animal Ethics Sub-Committee of the University of KwaZulu-Natal Ethics Committee, South Africa)
- Johansen R., Needham JR, Colquhoun D., Poppe TT & Smith AJ. (2006): Guidelines for health and welfare monitoring of fish used in research. Laboratory Animals 40(4): 323-340
- Considerations for a European animal welfare standard to evaluate adverse phenotypes in teleost fish
- Guidelines for the Use of Fishes in Research (2004) American Fisheries Society (AFS)
- Ostrander GK (2000) The Laboratory Fish. Academic Press, Baltimore, USA.
- Poole T (1999) UFAW Handbook on the Care and Management of Laboratory Animals. Volume 2: Amphibious & Aquatic Vertebrates & Advanced Invertebrates. Blackwell Science.
- Casebolt DB, Speare DJ, Horney BS (1998) Care and use of fish as laboratory animals: Current state of knowlege. Laboratory Animal Science 48, 124-136
- DeTolla LJ et al. (1995) Guidelines for the Care and Use of Fish in Research ILAR Journal 37 (4)
- Borski RG, Hodson RJ (2003) Fish Research and the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee ILAR journal 44 (4)
- Brattelid T, Smith AJ (2000) Guidelines for reporting the results of experiments using fish Laboratory Animals 34 131-135
- The welfare of farmed fish at slaughter (concerns about carbon dioxide use) (HSUS report)
- Schaeffer et al. (1992) The Care and Use of Amphibians, Reptiles and Fish in Research Scientists for Animal Welfare (SCAW)
- Documents for laypeople on ethics committees, Royal Society for the Protection of Animals (RSPCA), UK
- Brattelid T (1999): Kompendium i forsøksdyrlære for fiskeforskere (Norwegian-language compendium from the Norwegian School of Veterinary Science)
- Westerfield M (2000) The zebrafish book. A guide for the laboratory use of zebrafish (Danio rerio). 4th ed., Univ. of Oregon Press, Eugene.
- Zebrafish Information Network
- Guidelines for the Euthanasia of Nondomestic animals, produced by the American Association of Zoo Veterinarians
- Ethical considerations in fish research
- Animal models - theme issues from the ILAR journal
Did you find what you were looking for?Yes, I found it! No, I did not!
Thanks for your feedback! Please note that we cannot respond unless you supply your email address.
What are you looking for?
Please give us your feedback so we can improve the information on the page. Thank you in advance for your help. Please add your email address if you would like a reply.Please contact us by email if you have any questions.