- PREPARE is cited in the UK Home Office ASPeL Project Licence Application Template for General Licences (under point D7.9)
- PREPARE is cited by the Senate Commission on Animal Protection and Experimentation of the central independent German Research Foundation (DFG) in its Guidance on the 3Rs and the validity of animal experiments (in German and in English. The Commission advises the statutory bodies of the DFG as well as policy-makers and government agencies. In its advisory capacity, it also makes its expertise available to researchers, universities and research institutions.
- PREPARE has been endorsed by ANZCCART (Australian and New Zealand Council for the Care of Animals in Research and Teaching)
- PREPARE has been included in the Australian guidance Best Practice Methodology in the Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes, published by the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) in December 2017
- The ASAB (Association for the Study of Animal Behaviour) and the ABS (Animal Behavior Society) have endorsed the use of the PREPARE guidelines, and in their guidelines for the treatment of animals in behavioural research and teaching they recommend that authors refer to these.
- EFPIA published an Industry Statement on Experimental Design in 2019, which supports the use of PREPARE as one of three resources for planning, reporting and publishing in vivo studies.
- In the manuscript submission guidelines for the Journal of Psychopharmacology, authors are 'strongly encouraged to consult the PREPARE guidelines when planning their experiments'.
- An Opinion piece in the journal Shock in March 2020 states that, 'at the beginning of a study, the investigator should consider consulting general best-practice planning checklists, such as PREPARE'.
- The primer on research involving animals produced by the UK Research Integrity Office (UKRIO) in February 2019 describes PREPARE as 'current best practice for laboratory animal science'.
- The University of Leicester 'supports the PREPARE guidelines and encourages all researchers to read through the checklist. The University and Home Office would also recommend the use of the PREPARE checklist for preparing grant applications.'
- PREPARE has been endorsed by Ellegaard Göttingen MInipigs.
- PREPARE was highlighted in the January 2018 edition of the newsletter of the National Centre for the 3Rs (NC3RS) in the UK.
- PREPARE is highlighted in the paper Promoting and improving 3Rs practice: the Korean guidelines, published in BMB Reports in December 2017
- PREPARE is mentioned in a Norwegian-language article about the testing of new medicines (Tester medisiner på dårlige dyrestudier) in the magazine issued by the Norwegian National Research Ethics Committees in June 2018
- On 20 February 2020 the National Committee in Greece issued a Recommendation stating that the PREPARE guidelines should be followed when designing an experimental protocol, pointing out that PREPARE focuses on a large number of factors which, although rarely referred to in scientific work, can affect the validity and outcome of animal studies, as well as the health and safety of all concerned.
- In a paper entitled Systematic review of guidelines for internal validity in the design, conduct and analysis of preclinical biomedical experiments involving laboratory animals, Jan Vollert and colleagues point out that 'only a few specifically address rigorous planning and conduct of studies, which might increase validity from the earliest possible point', citing PREPARE as an example.
- Lund University in Sweden is in the process of embedding the PREPARE checklist in their requirements for scientists applying for permission to perform animal research.
Please contact Adrian Smith at Norecopa for more information.
Did you find what you were looking for?Yes, I found it! No, I did not!
Thanks for your feedback! Please note that we cannot respond unless you supply your email address.
What are you looking for?
Please give us your feedback so we can improve the information on the page. Thank you in advance for your help. Please add your email address if you would like a reply.Please contact us by email if you have any questions.