- Anaesthesia of fish
- Anaesthesia and analgesia of zebrafish specifically
- Pain and suffering in fish
- Sampling of fish
- Surgery on fish
The RSPCA has arranged two meetings entitled Focus on Fish, the first one on 23 February 2021 and the second on 23 February 2022. These contained several relevant presentations. The 2021 meeting had a session on Fish Welfare, including fish behaviour and using analgesia in fishes.
The Norwegian National Committee has sent a recommendation to the regulatory authorities to validate a method for obtaining DNA from fish using skin and mucus material. This is described here in Norwegian.
- An overview of existing guidelines for handling, bleeding, administration and identification techniques in fish (Penny Hawkins, 2009)
- Skin swabbing for DNA sampling of zebrafish (NC3Rs site)
- Refined methods of DNA collection in fishes (summary by the RSPCA, 2021)
- Breacker et al (2017) A low-cost method of skin-swabbing for the collection of DNA samples from small laboratory fish. Zebrafish, 14(1): 35-41. A short summary is also available.
- Ding et al. (2023): Comparative assessment of plasma cortisol and fecal corticoid metabolites (FCM) of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) subjected to acute- and long-term stress
- Tilley et al (2020): Skin swabbing is a refined technique to collect DNA from model fish species. Scientific Reports, 10, 18212.
- Roques et al (2010): Tailfin clipping, a painful procedure: Studies on Nile tilapia and common carp. Physiology & Behavior, 101(4): 533-540.
- A collection of training templates (CCAC website)
- Black (2000): Collection of Body Fluids, in The Laboratory Fish, Academic Press
- Ganassin, Schirmer & Bols (2000): Cell and Tissue Culture, in The Laboratory Fish, Academic Press
- Black (2000): Routes of Administration for Chemical Agents, in The Laboratory Fish, Academic Press
- Johnson (2000): Surgical Techniques, in The Laboratory Fish, Academic Press
- Kleinow (2000): Autoradiography of Fishes, in The Laboratory Fish, Academic Press
- Faustino et al (2017) Mechanisms of social buffering of fear in zebrafish. Scientific Reports, 7: 44329.
- Aerts et al (2015) Scales tell a story on the stress history of fish. PLOS One, 10(4): e0123411.
- Animal Research Advisory Committee Guidelines on Zebrafish and Zebrafish Facilities from the NIH, USA