See also the separate section on welfare of fish, and references to guidance on welfare assessment in the section on zebrafish.
Guidance must be relevant to the individual fish species. Monitoring and recording of water quality is an extremely important issue when working with fish species.
- Zebrafish: Housing and husbandry recommendations (2019): Joint Working Group Report from the European Society for Fish Models in Biology and Medicine (EUFishBioMed), which has since changed its name to the European Zebrafish Society (EZS) and the Federation of European Laboratory Animal Science Associations (FELASA)
- Examples of environmental enrichment for zebrafish that have been highlighted in the peer-reviewed literature (NC3Rs/RSPCA/IAT)
- Zebrafish Housing Systems: A Review of Basic Operating Principles and Considerations for Design and Functionality (Lawrence & Mason, 2012)
- Contemporary Topics in Zebrafish Husbandry and Care: report of a meeting in 2014
- Guidance on the housing and care of zebrafish (2011), produced by the Animals in Science Department of the RSPCA
- CCAC Guidelines: Zebrafish and other small warm-water laboratory fish
- Westerfield M (2000) The zebrafish book. A guide for the laboratory use of zebrafish (Danio rerio). 4th ed., Univ. of Oregon Press, Eugene.
- The Zebrafish in Biomedical Research (2019) ed. Samuel Cartner, Judith Eisen, Susan Farmer, Karen Guillemin, Michael Kent, George Sanders. Academic Press, Baltimore, USA. This book aims to provide a complete view of the zebrafish, covering their biology, husbandry, diseases and research applications.
- Deakin et al (2019) Welfare Challenges Influence the Complexity of Movement: Fractal Analysis of Behaviour in Zebrafish. Fishes, 4(1): 8.
- Sullivan et al. (2016): Why did the fish cross the tank? Objectively measuring the value of enrichment for captive fish
- Presentations from Harmonisation of the Care and Use of Fish in Research, Gardermoen 2009
- Wootten R (2005) Species-specific provisions for fish in the European Convention for the protection of animals used for experimental and scientific purposes (presentation at a meeting in Oslo in May 2005)
- Guidelines on: the care and use of fish in research, teaching and testing (2005) Canadian Council on Animal Care (CCAC)
- Griffin G (2005) Canadian Guidelines for the care & use of fish in research, teaching and testing (presentation at a meeting in Oslo in May 2005)
- Ostrander GK (2000) The Laboratory Fish. Academic Press, Baltimore, USA.
- Casebolt DB, Speare DJ, Horney BS (1998) Care and use of fish as laboratory animals: Current state of knowledge Laboratory Animal Science 48, 124-136
- DeTolla LJ et al. (1995) Guidelines for the Care and Use of Fish in Research ILAR Journal 37 (4)
- NRC Nutrient Requirements
- The FISHWELL handbooks of welfare indicators for salmon, trout and cleaner fish
- Welfare of Cultured and Experimental Fishes (special issue of the journal Fishes, 2019)
- RSPCA welfare standards for farmed Atlantic salmon
- Animal welfare at fish hatcheries (report in Norwegian from the Veterinary Institute, 2021)
- The Welfare of Fish (2020) ed. Tore S. Kristiansen, Anders Fernö, Michail A. Pavlidis & Hans van de Vis.
- Conklin (2000): Diet, in The Laboratory Fish, Academic Press
- Welfare of Fishes in Aquaculture (Report from the FAO, 2019).
- The Fish Ethology Database. This database is designed to make ethological (behavioural) data available on a variety of fish species, with a focus on farmed species, in order to help improve fish welfare.
- Cleaner fish welfare on Scotland's salmon farms. A report by OneKind (2018).
- Toni et al (2019) Review: Assessing fish welfare in research and aquaculture, with a focus on European directives. Animal, 13(1): 161-170.
- Browman et al (2018) Welfare of aquatic animals: where things are, where they are going, and what it means for research, aquaculture, recreational angling, and commercial fishing. ICES Journal of Marine Science, 76(1): 82-92.
- Sneddon et al (2018) Fish sentience denial: Muddying the waters. Animal Sentience, 21(1).
- Norwegian-language seminar on farming and fish welfare (2018). Many of the topics are relevant to fish used in research.
- Newport et al (2016) Discrimination of human faces by archerfish (Toxotes chatareus). Scientific Reports, 6: 27523.
- Kittilsen (2013) Functional aspects of emotions in fish. Behavioural Processes, 100: 153-159.